Cover Shadow

Alte Thönihaus
St. Anton am Arlberg

Logo Tirol Logo St. Anton am Arlberg

Very interesting

The History

The house was one of the largest old houses in St. Anton am Arlberg. The northern part of the house is the older one. This part can be dated to the late Middle Ages due to Gothic style elements such as the wooden portal, the donkey bridges over windows and doors and the wooden joints. Around 1580, the southern part of the house may have been added. This addition was made as a wooden rope. This addition transformed the house from a side to a mid-floor house. Robert Matt had a scientific report made to determine the age of the timber, and so the post-and-beam house was built around 1465. Thus, the construction falls into a period in which the Arlberg traffic has declined sharply.

According to oral tradition, the house was used by miners and is said to have been in use as a salt trading station, as an intermediate store for the transport of salt from Hall near Innsbruck to the Lake Constance area.

The merchants had the right to collect customs duties along the salt road and erected so-called "Pallhäuser". The Thönihaus is the last preserved house of this kind, the front part and the facade have been listed since 1985! With the end of the salt mining, it passed into peasant ownership and has been inhabited by 3 families since then.

In 1984 the old Thönihaus was redivided between the owners. The big barn and the stables were demolished in May 1987 and the houses of Mall Emil and Spiss Hannes were built there. The front residential part of the "Old Thönihaus" was renovated to fit the new building structure and adapted to the contemporary living requirements. In 1988 the roof was newly shingled, and the north-facing façade was rebuilt with the old wood in 1989. In 1997 the interior finishing was completed. Since then the house is inhabited again and serves today as a cozy guest house in which Tyrolean tradition and the fulfillment of modern requirements were combined.